Vintage Suitcase Table? Let's Do This


Believe it or not you absolutely can build a vintage suitcase side table, or repurpose an old, flat top trunk for a table for under $30.00. 
But before we get into how to do this on the cheap, let's all get our golf clap going for anyone who has the spare money for this.. ..



Original price $450.00?!?! 

It's beautiful. It's calling my name. It's also a utility bill or car payment or a huge grocery shopping trip that needed to happen. Ugh. 

I found these in several booths at Roadhouse Antiques. 





This would be a small side table. But it's already painted and distressed for $5.75. These are kinds of deals you can find in antique stores. 




So you decide to go for it. You buy the perfect vintage suitcase or trunk, and are now daydreaming of walking past your table everyday, all yes, I made that! 
Hold up, miss envy of all your friends, it needs legs. 
There are many options:
-- Buy ( or garbage pick) a cheap table and take it apart. 



I found this table on the curb. It looked like a dog used it for a chew toy. But what about those spindles in the middle? 
It took a screwdriver and about 15 mins to take it apart. 





In mins. I had my first coat of paint on them. 


If I can do this, anyone can, but maybe you need a tools for dummies book as bad as I do. 
Option 2:
Hobby Lobby. Lowes. Menards. Home Depot. Amazon. eBay. Etsy.  

You can buy legs at any of those stores. BUT I am partial to pulling up a 40% off coupon on my phone at Hobby Lobby. Although at least once a month they are 50% off. 
https://goo.gl/images/Bz6hRY

You'll find these in the isle with knobs and vintage looking hooks.. Right next to the iron claw feet! And there's all different styles of legs. And what about these knobs? They could change the whole look of the kitchen! 



FOCUS! 
The pretty in that place should come with a warning.

I had an opportunity to pick a few barns. And yes, I'm talking American Pickers style. This trunk was one of the items I purchased. It cost me $10.00. 


I cleaned it, let it dry, and painted my first coat of chalk paint. It was a color I used on a previous project. 
If you're adding this up, I'm $10 and time into this table. 
If you've gone the route of -- I'd rather just buy one. Okay, here's one in our antique store. Painted and ready for it's new forever home. 


It's a huge steamer trunk and it's only $49.00


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Sign

Chippy Paint and You; A Love Story

For the Love of Roosters